Protect your pet - below are the warning signs of cancer in your pet.
May is National Cancer Month
• Swollen Lymph Nodes – "Glands" are located throughout the body but are most easily detected under the jaw or behind the knee.
• Enlarging or changing lump – any strange lump on a pet that is rapidly growing in size, shape and texture should have a biopsy.
• Abdominal Distension – the "stomach" becomes enlarged rapidly, this could suggest a large tumor.
• Chronic Weight Loss – When you pet is losing weight and you have not put your pet on a diet.
• Chronic Vomiting or Diarrhea – Unexplained vomiting or diarrhea should prompt an investigation.
• Unexplained Bleeding – Bleeding from the mouth, nose, gums or blood in the urine or stool.
• Cough – A dry, non-productive cough in an older pet should prompt chest radiographs to be taken.
• Lameness – Especially in large dogs or giant breeds – unexplained lameness is a very common sign of bone cancer.
• Straining to Urinate with blood in the urine – Might be an indication of cancer of the bladder.
• Oral Odor – Foul odor can be detected in pets with oral tumors.
Resource: The Veterinary Cancer Center
THANK YOU FOR HELPING US BUY A WASHING MACHINE
We desperately need a washing machine! Every day, our volunteers do 3 - 12 loads of laundry so that our kennel dogs have clean, dry bedding to sleep in. Some dogs even have particular tastes and prefer "their" bedding - if you give them unfamiliar bedding, they drag it out of their sleeping space. Needless to say, we go through a lot of laundry!
Our current washing machine breaks down frequently, leaving our volunteers to schlep the heavy laundry to a laundromat and spend hours there washing, drying and folding.
A heavy-duty, large-capacity washing machine costs $1,000. Please make a donation to help us keep our rescues comfortable! As an added incentive, if you donate $30 or more, we will send you a Pet Rescue umbrella to help keep YOU dry (while supplies last). Even a small donation will help. If we raise more than $1,000, we will use the extra funds to buy more Perla plastic beds. Thank you very much!